Designed together with patients, families and caregivers.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Orangeville, Ont. (January 22, 2024) – Headwaters Health Care Centre is thrilled to announce the beginning of renovations for its Hemodialysis unit, marking a significant milestone in our commitment to providing exceptional health services. The renovation is made possible thanks to the generous contributions of our community through the Smart Headwaters
Hemodialysis treatments are life-sustaining for patients with end-stage kidney disease. Since treatments take up to 4 hours and are required 3 times per week in a specialized treatment chair, patient comfort is a priority. Designed by Stantec Inc. and built by BDA, the newly renovated Hemodialysis unit is a cornerstone to providing dedicated patient-centred care, enhanced patient privacy and accessibility.
Key features of the renovated hemodialysis unit include the following:
- The newly renovated Hemodialysis unit is returning to its original location on the main level of the hospital within the Ambulatory Care wing. The unit will have direct access from a patient drop-off area adjacent to the hospital.
- Hemodialysis will have the capacity to expand to 9 stations, capable of treating up to 54 patients annually. To support the longer-term needs of the community, the unit will have the capacity for future expansion to 12 active stations that will support up to 72 patients in total.
- Brand-new water treatment room for water purification and a technical workroom to support monitoring and maintenance of the water treatment system and the Hemodialysis machines.
- New in-floor scale, designed to be level with the floor, ensuring both safety and ease of use for patients.
- New ergonomic and comfortable treatment chairs with customizable features for each patient. A renewed layout brings in more natural light.
In addition, the following changes can be expected during the renovation construction phase:
- Patient drop-off parking outside Ambulatory Care temporarily closed for the safety of patients and families.
- Ambulatory Care entrance temporarily closed as a construction zone. Please enter the hospital through the main doors and into the Joan and Paul Waetcher Welcome Centre.
- Ambulatory Care patients will continue to register at the Welcome Centre before proceeding to their appointment within Ambulatory Care. There is no change to registration for hemodialysis patients, located at Switchboard.
- The renovation construction may temporarily affect waiting areas and Ambulatory Care clinic locations. Patients and families will be provided with directions upon registration. Additional wayfinding signage has been posted in the Ambulatory Care area.
- Volunteers are available to assist with patient wayfinding.
During renovation construction, Hemodialysis and Ambulatory Care patients will continue to be seen, and there will be minimal disruption to patient appointments.
The construction of the newly renovated Hemodialysis Unit is scheduled for anticipated completion in Summer 2024. We look forward to welcoming patients to this modernized unit, close to home and continuing our purpose to be one community, caring together.
For more details, visit headwatershealth.ca or sign up for the newsletter
for regular updates.
“This renovation of our hemodialysis unit will ensure that our patients continue to have access to excellent care, close to home. Patient experience has been at the forefront, as we engaged them throughout the planning and design process. In partnership with the Headwaters Health Care Foundation and the generous support of our community, we are thrilled to complete this work.”
--Kim Delahunt, CEO and President, Headwaters Health Care Centre
“The need for Dialysis services is growing and the Foundation and donors are proud to see new renovations for the Dialysis unit underway. Hemodialysis patients spend 4 to 5 hours, multiple times a week receiving treatment. We want their experience to be as positive and convenient as possible. We are thrilled that Smart Headwaters
has received such terrific community support, and we are starting to see these gifts in action make a real difference in our hospital.”
--K.C. Carruthers, CEO, Headwaters Health Care Foundation
Backgrounder: Dialysis renovation improvements
The newly renovated hemodialysis unit is returning to its original location on the main level of the hospital within the Ambulatory Care wing. The unit will have direct access from a patient drop-off area adjacent to the hospital.
Hemodialysis will have the capacity to expand to 9 stations, capable of treating up to 54 patients annually. To support the longer-term needs of the community, the unit will have the capacity for future expansion to 12 active stations that will support up to 72 patients in total. With a focus on meeting the growing demand for hemodialysis services, the newly renovated unit will significantly increase our capacity to serve more patients, close to home, and aligns to the regional capacity requirements.
Upgraded technology and features
The newly renovated hemodialysis unit will have both a brand-new water treatment room for water purification and a technical workroom to support monitoring and maintenance of the water treatment system and the Hemodialysis machines. The renovated unit will also feature a new in-floor scale, designed to be level with the floor, ensuring both safety and ease of use for patients. There will be also a new medication room with a workstation for pharmacists, and a new nursing station.
Enhanced patient experience
New ergonomic and comfortable chairs will be available to Hemodialysis patients. The chairs were selected in consultation with patients and staff, in order to offer an even more comfortable and welcoming environment. Patients can enjoy customizations to seat settings, power recline, or personal devices, side table, retractable footrest, and a bedside entertainment health hub. Treatment stations will also provide privacy screens, replacing traditional curtains, to partition treatment stations as required. Customizable lighting and USB are available at each station. The layout provides more natural light throughout the treatment area.
Specialized health team
Our team of highly skilled and compassionate nephrologist and health team professionals continue to care for hemodialysis patients before, during and after renovation construction. We are dedicated to providing high-quality care to each patient.
Photo caption: Kim Delahunt, CEO and President of Headwaters Health Care Centre and K.C. Carruthers, CEO, Headwaters Health Care Foundation, along with the Hemodialysis Renovation project leadership team in front of the unit, which is currently under construction.
About Headwaters Health Care Centre
Headwaters Health Care Centre is an innovative hospital located in Orangeville, Ontario dedicated to quality patient-centred care together with our community in Dufferin County-Caledon. In addition to providing acute and complex continuing care with a 24/7 Emergency Department, and extensive Ambulatory Care outpatient services, Headwaters is accredited with Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada, certified as a Breast Assessment Centre by the Ontario Breast Screening Program, and will be offering MRI services in 2024.Headwaters is a cornerstone of health and wellness for the communities it serves. It is one of the area's largest employers with over 800 staff, 200 physicians and six midwives and benefits from the dedication of over 200 volunteers.
Headwaters is also a proud partner in the Hills of Headwaters Collaborative Ontario Health Team. Learn more at headwatershealth.ca
and support the hospital at hhccfoundation.com
About Headwaters Health Care Foundation
Headwaters Health Care Foundation is the fundraising organization of Headwaters Health Care Centre. The Foundation raises funds for medical equipment, infrastructure and continuing education. For more information or to donate, visit hhcfoundation.com.
About Smart Headwaters
is a transformative $18 million fundraising campaign, aimed at acquiring a cutting-edge MRI machine and other vital medical technology to enhance diagnostic capabilities and elevate patient care within our community. This ambitious campaign represents a major milestone for the hospital and its commitment to providing exceptional health care services to the residents of Dufferin-Caledon.
Headwaters Health Care Centre
Communications and Donor Relations Officer
Headwaters Health Care Foundation
519-941-2702 ext. 2303 email@example.com