ORANGEVILLE, ON – January 19, 2024 –
Headwaters Health Care Centre is pleased to announce that it is once again awarded with a decision of Accreditation with Exemplary Standing
– the highest ranking conferred – following a week-long on-site assessment of its programs and services from Accreditation Canada (AC).
Being accredited means that we have been assessed by an independent third-party organization, Accreditation Canada, and have proven ourselves to be meeting or exceeding current health care standards.
Accreditation is an internationally recognized evaluation and quality improvement process; it helps organizations identify what they are doing well and where they need to focus their improvement efforts.
The accreditation process involves a thorough and detailed review of hospital policies, programs and plans. It also involves an onsite week-long visit from health care professionals who are trained surveyors with Accreditation Canada who speak with staff, volunteers, patients, physicians, families and caregivers to gain a better understanding of care practices. The surveyors also participate in programs and services and observe the hospital at every level.
Accreditation Canada identified a long list of strengths, including the following:
- The hospital’s culture reflects its values.
- The teams are positive, proactive, and proud with visible leadership.
- Headwaters is a learning organization with a commitment to resources, support and a strong focus on its health human resources challenges.
- Staff are dedicated to quality patient care and services.
- Headwaters is investing in planning and design and continuous improvements.
- Patient Engagement is at the forefront of the Hospital’s activities and their future plans.
- Headwaters has a unique and strong ethics framework and emergency preparedness plan.
- There is a focus on being a data informed hospital, integrating data in decision-making.
- The hospital has a quality improvement mindset.
Sylvia Jones, MPP for Dufferin-Caledon
– “The people of Dufferin County and Caledon understand first-hand the impact Headwaters Health Care Centre and their team have on our community. This significant and well-deserved achievement recognizes the world-class and patient-centered care delivered by the dedicated team at Headwaters, providing local families with connected and convenient care close to home.”
Kim Delahunt, President & CEO, Headwaters Health Care Centre
– “I am immensely proud of everyone on our team. Their unwavering dedication and tireless efforts ensure that our community receives healthcare services of the highest quality. We are privileged to have such a committed and compassionate group of professionals and staff making a positive impact on the health and well-being of our community.”
, Vice President Patient Experience, Health Integration and Chief Nursing Executive and Accreditation Executive Sponsor.
- “As a nurse and health care leader with over 30 years' experience, I know first-hand the importance of teamwork and ongoing quality improvement. We are so thrilled with this result. This designation is a testament to the fact that everyone, not just a few programs, makes safety and quality their priority.”
Dr. Grace Wang
, Vice President of Medical Affairs and Chief of Staff
– “Accreditation is not just a milestone; it is a reflection of our collective commitment to providing exceptional care to our community. Together, we are ensuring that our patients receive the best possible treatment in a safe and compassionate environment.”
, Patient Family Advisor
– “The accreditation process was inspiring, and educational. I am thankful for being invited to be part of it. They were complimentary of the progress PFAP has made in a short period of time and encouraged us to always, and openly express our opinions. They also provided feedback about ways we can continue to drive change and improvements to ensure the best possible outcome for patients and families.”
Leslee J. Thompson, CEO Health Standards Organization and Accreditation Canada
- “Congratulations, Headwaters Health Care Centre, on receiving Accreditation with Exemplary Standing. We continue to be inspired by and grateful for the trust our clients and stakeholders place in us as a partner in their quality improvement journey. Together, we are making a positive impact toward safer care and a healthier world, and I look forward to building on that momentum into the future.”
Additional Priorities and Areas of Focus
In 2023, Headwaters Health Care Centre unveiled its Clinical Priority Plan (CPP).
With a focus on addressing the most urgent clinical needs and anticipating the growing populations, the CPP emphasizes improvements needed in Emergency Services, Geriatrics, Mental Health and Substance Use, Obstetrics, and Paediatrics while also focusing on quality improvements across all areas of the hospital.
HHCC’s new People Strategy Plan
, launched in 2023 with a focus on the health, well-being, safety and accessibility of its staff, physicians, and volunteers.
Headwaters is actively developing its strategic plan for 2024-2029
. This plan, which will be launched in the spring of 2024, aims to establish a shared vision, values, and priorities for the next five years, ensuring the hospital's continued commitment to excellence in patient care and community health. Our vibrant community and partners provided valuable input as we continue to develop our new strategic plan.
To further elevate the quality of care provided, the Hospital Foundation launched the SMART Headwaters campaign
. This ambitious $18 million fundraising initiative, which has now raised $14 million of its goal, seeks to acquire an MRI machine and other vital medical technologies to enhance diagnostic capabilities and elevate patient care within our community. The commitment of our donors, allows our teams to have access to the facilities and essential equipment to provide the very best care to the community.
Kim Delahunt, President & CEO, MPP Dufferin-Caledon, Sylvia Jones and Dr. Grace Wang, Surgeon, Vice President, Medical Affairs and Chief of Staff, Orangeville Mayor Lisa Post, Caledon Acting Mayor and Councillor Dave Sheen, and Caledon Councillor Lynn Kiernan celebrate with Headwaters Health Care Centre Board members, Headwaters Patient Family Advisors, community partners and staff during the announcement that Headwaters Health Care Centre has achieved Accreditation with Exemplary Standing, the highest ranking awarded by Accreditation Canada.
About Accreditation Canada
Accreditation Canada (AC) has been empowering clients on their path to continuous quality improvement for over six decades. Since its establishment in 1958, AC has played a crucial role in promoting safe and high-quality care through capacity-building and conducting independent, third-party assessments of health and social service organizations against global standards of excellence.
In 2023 it expanded its presence to over 15,000 locations across 38 countries, solidifying its position as a leading global organization.
About Headwaters Health Care Centre
Headwaters Health Care Centre is an innovative hospital located in Orangeville, Ontario dedicated to quality patient-centred care together with our community in Dufferin County-Caledon. In addition to providing acute and complex continuing care with a 24/7 Emergency Department, and extensive Ambulatory Care outpatient services, Headwaters is accredited with Exemplary Standing by Accreditation Canada, certified as a Breast Assessment Centre by the Ontario Breast Screening Program, and will be offering MRI services in 2024.
Headwaters is a cornerstone of health and wellness for the communities it serves. It is one of the area's largest employers with over 800 staff, 200 physicians and six midwives and benefits from the dedication of over 200 volunteers.
Headwaters is also a proud partner in the Hills of Headwaters Collaborative Ontario Health Team. Learn more at headwatershealth.ca
and support the hospital at hhccfoundation.com
Director, Communications & Stakeholder Relations, 519-278-5085 email@example.com