Speech-Language Pathology

How to Access Outpatient Paediatrics Speech-Language Pathology Services in Ontario

In Ontario, preschool speech and language services are divided into regions. If you live in Wellington or Dufferin County you can access services through the Wee Talk Preschool Speech and Language Services. Parents can directly refer their child for service. A doctor’s referral is not necessary. For a list of preschool speech and language service programs in Ontario please call the Ministry of Health's INFOline at 1-866-821-7770.

Adult Speech-Language Pathology Services

Adult services speech-language pathologists provide assessment and treatment of communication and swallowing disorders for inpatients. Clients can present with a variety of diagnoses such as stroke, neurogenic communication disorders (aphasia, dyspraxia, dysarthria, etc.), voice and swallowing disorders. Clinicians work on numerous multi-disciplinary professional teams throughout the hospital.

Clients with swallowing difficulties (dysphagia) are assessed and managed on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. Specialized video fluoroscopic studies are offered when more detailed examination of the swallowing mechanism is required. Therapists work in conjunction with dietary and nursing staff, and provide consultation to family members and community professionals.

Outpatient adult services for recovering stroke patients are provided. Physician referral is required.