Mental Health

Transitional Care Worker

Headwaters Emergency Department's Transitional Care Worker provides assessment, short-term crisis counselling and referrals to community agencies. Available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. On call coverage for after hours crisis is available.

Working closely with Brampton Civic's Mental Health program Headwaters' refers patients requiring inpatient care for admission to Brampton Civic. The Transitional Care Worker follows up with the patient upon their discharge to ensure community treatment is in place. This form of treatment allows the patient to continue living in the community while receiving support and treatment specified in a plan that the client/family and clinicians draw up together.

In addition, this service includes assessment and consultation in inpatient units.

The mental health program provides assessment and treatment planning for individuals living with the following:
  • Schizophrenia
  • Bipolar
  • Psychotic illness
  • Depression
  • Counselling, including suicide prevention
  • Situational crisis - people who experience extreme stress about a life event and need assistance and support in how to cope
Geriatric Nurse

Headwaters Geriatric Nurse provides services for seniors who are at risk of elder abuse, dementia and Alzheimers. Patients are seen by a doctor in order of need. Emergency care is not provided on a first-come first-serve basis.
How long you wait will depend on:
  • Lessening or eliminating the debilitating symptoms of mental illness, and to minimize or prevent recurring episodes of illness.
  • Meeting the clients basic needs and enhance their quality of life.
  • Lessen the family's burden on providing care.
  • Decrease the number of hospital visits, emergency visits and crisis service contacts.
Once you have been assessed it may be necessary for you to have further tests (e.g. X-rays or blood tests) or be seen by a specialist

The Emergency Department does not give out wait times over the phone.

What Else Can I Do?
  • If you have a family doctor, go to your family doctor. Your doctor knows your family history, and can provide you with the best follow-up care. Your community pharmacist may offer advice on non-urgent medical matters.
  • Make sure you and your family have enough prescribed medication, especially for weekends and holidays.
  • If you have a chronic illness, keep your regularly scheduled appointments with your doctor. Ask your doctor what change in your condition would require medical attention.